If you’re like me, folding down the corner of a book page is unthinkable. Craft one of these stylish bookmarks instead to mark your place!
Making your own bookmark is a great way to pass time on your own, with friends, or with the kids. You can really be creative in making something unique. Whether you want something minimal and classy or something crazy and vibrant there’s a DIY bookmark here for you!
So let’s make reading fun by styling your book with your own personal touch.
Origami Bookmark Corner : Once you have mastered the basic bookmark corner, there are 100s of designs you can turn it into, quickly and easily!
- Fold a piece of square origami paper in half, diagonally. You will get a shape of a triangle.
- Bring both left and right corner of the triangle to the center (at the bottom). Make sure the folds are super crisp.
- Unfold both sides.
- Take the top layer of paper, at the top of the triangle, and fold the top to the bottom.
- Now fold the same two corners to the top of your triangle, transforming it to a square. Again, make the folds nice and crisp.
- Tuck them into the pocket that has formed.
Watercolor Bookmarks:These are so fun to make. You can customize them with quotes , stamps, silhouettes and many more.You can even cut it into different shapes like a feather or an animal. Be creative!
- cardstock paper
- black marker
- bowl of water
1. Cut out your bookmark into any shape or size out of white cardstock paper.
2. Start by brushing clear clean water over the surface.Completely wet the paper. You don’t want the paper soaking wet. The wetter the paper, the more the paint will pool instead of start to spread and create patterns. If the paper is too wet just dab a bit with a paper towel.
3.With a wet brush, pick up the colors of your choice .
4.Gently dab or brush onto the wet paper. This will create a cloudy fluid look where ever you apply the paint. Add more water for a more translucent color and more color for a darker color.
5.Let it dry and then you can design it .here are some ideas to decorate your bookmark –
Tea Cup Bookmark :For anyone who enjoys a good cup of tea. And a good book. At the same time.
- Gift bag /patterned bag
- Good quality glue
- Black marker
1. I traced a teacup on a part of the bag with the pattern that I liked.
2.Then I removed the side of the bag where it’s folded, so it would be easier to cut out the teacup.
3.Then I cut along the top edge of the teacup, and the general area around the teacup through both layers of the bag. so now we have two pieces
4. I took a thread.
5. Then I cut out a scrap piece of paper I glued this piece of paper on top of the thread
6. Finally, I glued the string in the fold of the paper, and then glued the tag together.
Ice-cream Bookmarks : If you are like me who loves to carry lot of books on summer vacation then you will love making this simple icecream shaped bookmark.
Making this pretty ice-cream shaped bookmark is not a big task. All you would need is a cardstock paper, a pair of scissors, some glue, sharpies, a quote of your choice and last but not the least a popsicle stick.
Start by cutting the cardstock paper into the shape of a popsicle, and if you wish you can color it as well. Then glue a nice quote to write on it, and last stick it to an ice-cream stick.Or you can decorate it as done in the photo.
Confetti Bookmarks – These bookmarks are SOO much fun and are quite easy to make. Plus, they make reading more fun than ever !
- Clear sheet protectors
- Scrapbook paper
- Either a Fuse tool (along with a metal ruler + a protective work mat/cardboard) OR a sewing machine
- A hole punch and ribbon
1.cut your sheet protectors down to the size you prefer
2.If you’re using the Fuse tool, line up your ruler to expose one edge of the bookmark and use the tool to roll down the side, sealing the edge.If you’re using a sewing machine, simply sew the edge
3.For whichever method you choose, you’re going to want to make sure you seal both long sides and one short side . Leave the other short side open for now.
4.Make confetti by cutting scrapbook paper into small pieces. Optionally, use fringe scissors to cut more at once. Add sequins and any other small findings to your confetti.
5.Fill the bookmark with confetti, using a funnel if needed.
6.Sew the top of the bookmark closed.
7.Punch a hole in the top of the bookmark and add some ribbon
8. And if you’re feeling super crafty, you can add stickers or use permanent markers to embellish the outside of the bookmark!
BONUS :Use the same materials/technique but play around with making different shapes!